Sunday, March 1, 2009

We Gotta Do Better


As usual, while doing my homework I took a break to see what was interesting or new on the circuit and as a member of the NAACP I found an email in my inbox that I had not yet read. It was from the president of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, Dr. Benjamin Jealous. In this email he discussed the protestation efforts being made by our organization to reform the media being controlled by Rupert Murdock at the New York Post. The cartoon detailing a monkey being shot as he was the author of the $800 Million Stimulus Package was obviously an attack on our faithful Nubian President. The fact that the majority of the population (pronounced "white-A-mer-i-ca) didn't see anything wrong with this article's content or the extremely offensive cartoon showed that we still have a long way to go. Though I am not one to always get on my soap box I will for a moment. For so long the ideology that promoted everything from Eugenics to Neo-Nazi Purification, this cartoon comes from the same breadth that condemned those that descended from the Founders of Mother Earth to unintelligible members of the lower mammals. This is not something that we, black people, made up folks. If you cannot see the racial connotations in these sort of situations maybe you should reexamine your own tolerance to ethnocentric and intolerant messages. Yes, we have elected a black man as our president. But we still have not reached the Promised Land of Racial and Gender Equality. Not that we're all blind, or all racist, however we cannot allow blatantly disrespectful imagery to fly under the radar without someone's RaceMaker going off. I mean, I'm just sayin.

No comments:

Post a Comment